Spring 2018 Insulated Conductors Committee Awards
ICC Certificates of Appreciation
ICC Certificates of Appreciation were presented to the following:
- Stephen Hoskins for Best Presentation at the Fall 2017 Subcommittee B Meeting, Transition Joint Installation for 450 MCM Low-Pressure Gas-Filled Cable to 3500 kcmil XLPE Cable
- Tommi Virta for Best Presentation at the Fall 2017 Subcommittee B Meeting, Transition Joint Installation for 450 MCM Low-Pressure Gas-Filled Cable to 3500 kcmil XLPE Cable
- Charles Darnell for Best Presentation at the Fall 2017 Subcommittee C Meeting, Cable Protection – Beyond the Time-Current Curve
- Craig Ajello for Best Presentation at the Fall 2017 Discussion Group C31 Meeting, Pumping Plant Replacement Project
- Victor Antoniello for Best Presentation at the Fall 2017 Discussion Group C31 Meeting, Pumping Plant Replacement Project
- Gabriel Taylor for Best Presentation at the Fall 2017 Subcommittee D Meeting, Fire-Retardant Cable Coatings – A Fresh Look into Their Thermal and Electrical Response for Performance-Based Applications
- Jean-Francois Drapeau for Best Presentation at the Fall 2017 Subcommittee F Meeting, Pushing the Interpretative Value of Diagnostic Tests Based on Dielectric Loss Measurements: Exploration Beyond the Classic Criteria of VLF Tan Delta Diagnostic Features
IEEE/PES Technical Committee Certificates of Appreciation
IEEE/PES Certificates of Appreciation were presented to the following:
- Frank Frentzas for Services Rendered as Chair, Insulated Conductors Committee, Spring 2016 – Fall 2017
- Frank Petzold for Services Rendered as Chair, Subcommittee G, Transnational Spring 2014 – Fall 2017
- John Merando for Services Rendered as Standards Coordinator, Fall 2008 – Fall 2017
- Nimesh Patel for Services Rendered as Chair, Working Group C25, IEEE 442-2017 Guide for Thermal Resistivity Measurements of Soils and Backfill Materials
- Sudhakar Cherukupalli for Services Rendered as Vice-Chair, Working Group C25, IEEE 442-2017 Guide for Thermal Resistivity Measurements of Soils and Backfill Materials
- Don Koonce for Services Rendered as Vice-Chair, Working Group C31, High Pressure Fluid Filled (HPFF) and High Pressure Gas Filled (HPGF) Pipe Type Cable Systems
- Ajit Gwal for Services Rendered as Vice Chair, Working Group D10, Class 1E Cables for Nuclear Plants (IEEE 383)
- Ajit Gwal for Services Rendered as Chair, Working Group D13, Ampacity Derating of Fire Protected Cable (P848)
- Vern Buchholz for Services Rendered as Chair, Working Group F07, Guide for Assessment, Mitigation, and Control of Corrosion of Metallic Shields for Extruded Dielectric Cables Rated 5 kV to 46 kV
- Grace Jiang for Services Rendered as Chair, Discussion Group F10, Diagnostic Testing for Cable Joints & Terminations
Dr. George H. Bahder Memorial Award
Joseph Zimnoch Sr.
For contributions to the understanding of manufacturing, installation and operational issues of high-pressure pipe-type, self-contained liquid-filled and extruded dielectric cable technologies.
143rd Meeting of the Insulated Conductors Committee
JW Marriott Starr Pass Resort
May 6 – 9, 2018
Joseph Zimnoch Sr. has been actively involved in the underground cable industry for more than 63 years, with an extensive career working for one of the preeminent cable manufacturers of pipe-type and other cable types. His initial work was as an R&D engineer on new and improved cable system types before working as an application engineer in the design, coordination, and installation and testing for pipe-type and extruded cable systems of voltages up to 345kV. He was then was promoted to Assistant Chief Engineer with responsibility for engineering, material procurement and delivery of cable and accessories on turnkey projects and supervising field advisors. From 1972 to 1987, he was promoted to positions as Chief Engineer, Director of High-voltage Systems and Director of Paper Cable Engineering. Throughout his extensive career, he has contributed to IEEE Insulated Conductor Committee guides, standards, presentations and general understanding of insulated power cable systems.
- Newark College of Engineering (New Jersey Institute of Technology)
- Bachelor of Science Electrical Engineering (Class of 1954)
- Master of Science Electrical Engineering (1958)
- He was employed by The Okonite Company from 1954 to May 1995, where he was involved with all types of 5 kV to 500 kV impregnated paper and laminated paper polypropylene insulated cables such as high-pressure pipe-type, self-contained liquid-filled, low-pressure gas-filled, and solid-type PILC.
- His overall duties included project engineering and the direction of Okonite engineering staff handling high-voltage cable system projects. He had direct responsibilty for such projects not only in the United States but also overseas in countries such as Korea, Saudi Arabia, Chile and Yugoslavia.
- He retired from The Okonite Company on May 31, 1995 after 41 years of service.
- He is now an independent self-employed consultant specializing in high-voltage cables and accessories.
- Member of National Association of Corrosion Engineers (NACE)
- Life Member of IEEE
- Member of IEEE Power and Energy Society (PES)
- Senior (Voting) Member of Insulated Conductors Committee (ICC)
- IEEE Insulated Conductors Committee participation included Subcommittee Nos. #3, #5 and #7 (1977 until 1998) and Subcommittees A, B and C (1999-present)
- Vice-Chair of Working Group C04 for IEEE 1425-2001 Guide for the Evaluation of the Remaining Life of Impregnated Paper-Insulated Transmission Cable Systems
- Member Working Group C05 for IEEE 1406-1998 Guide to the Use of Gas-In-Fluid Analysis for Electric Power Cable Systems
- Member, Working Group C29 for IEEE 1727-2013 Guide for Working Procedures on Underground Transmission Circuits with Induced Voltage
- Expert reviewer for the 1992 and 2001 editions of the Electric Power Research Insititue (EPRI) Underground Transmission Systems Reference Book
- 2014 IEEE PES Technical Committee Distinguished Individual Service Award
- Installation of Stainless Steel Pipe on a Pipe Type Cable System at the Open Forum at the Fall 1973 ICC meeting in Atlanta
- Design, Manufacture and Installation of a Long 345 kV Submarine Pipe Type Cable at the Open Forum at the Fall 1979 ICC meeting in Phoenix
- EPRI PPP Cable Special Session panelist at the Spring 1991 ICC meeting in Charleston
- Extended Testing of a 345 kV LPP Pipe-Type Cable for Engineering Information at Subcommittee No. 7 Cable Systems at the Spring 1992 ICC meeting in Victoria
- Extended Testing of a 230 kV LPP Pipe-Type Cable for Engineering Information at Subcommittee No. 7 Cable Systems at the Fall 1992 ICC meeting at St. Pete Beach
- The Design and Manufacture of Paper Insulated Lead Covered Cable (PILC) at the Educational Program at the Spring 2003 ICC meeting in Cincinnati
- Pipe Type Cables in the USA at the Spring 2011 Subcommittee C Cable Systems at the Spring 2011 ICC meeting in St. Petersburg
- Accelerated Cable Ageing Tests for Distribution and Transmission Cables Part 1 – High Voltage AC Paper Cables at the Educational Program at the Fall 2011 ICC meeting in Denver